Dirty Old Prom Queen

In '98 I was the prom queen and in '06 I hang out with queens. I'm a private tutor during the day and a comedian at night in ol' NYC. I just can't seem to get out of high school...can someone call the custodian? Vesuvio, I'm locked in!

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Winds of Katrina are No Match for Senior Prom


In Pass Christian, Mississippi, students don gowns in FEMA trailers and dance 'til dawn next door to the local gas station. It's prom season and ain't no natchal disaster gonna stop it.

Literally, though, this story made me well up.

The only thing that has made me well up more than this story in the last two days is the Lowe's commercial that played all last night during the NCAA basketball championships. The one where the daddy helps his son build a basketball net outside of their house and, then, cut to future where the son takes the net down victoriously after winning the NCAA championships; and then he looks out to the crowd to see his father (the very same father who constructed the hoop outside of their home many years before -- now greying at the temples) gazing at him with pride. I saw it 8 times last night and cried each time. People achieving their dreams. Tears.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:11 AM, Blogger Alison said…

    oh my god, that Lowes commercial does it to me too! when he clutches that piece of rope and raises it at his dad? it's all over for me. This is particuarlly embarassing when you're out at a bar with your boyfriend and a bunch of guys and you well up three times in so many minutes.

     
  • At 7:51 AM, Blogger Katy said…

    I totally used to sob during the Mt. Sinai hospital radio ads. One time I had to pull over on Route 80 because I was so worked up over the kid who walked again and graduated from college. How do they get us???

     

Post a Comment

<< Home